You will need:
– 3 cups whole wheat flour
– ½ cup powdered milk
– 1 cup chicken, beef or vegetable broth
– 2 large eggs (set one aside for egg wash)
– 1 tsp. Peppermint oil
– red food coloring (optional)
Preheat oven to 350°.
1. Mix all your wet ingredients together.
2. Add in the dry ingredients.
3. Knead the dough on a floured board for a couple of minutes.
4. Divide the dough in half. Put in water.
5. Knead dough on floured surface for 2-3 minutes.
6. Divide dough in half. In one half put the peppermint oil and knead in. The other half add food coloring-working it in and adding food coloring.
7. Refrigerate dough in separate bowls for an hour.
8. Cover a cookie sheet in foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
9. Whisk egg for wash in a small bowl.
10. Remove dough from refrigerator, break each dough color up into an equal number of pieces- about a Tbsp. or so in size-depending on the size of the recipient. Roll each ball into a small snake-like shape. Work on a long sheet of wax paper creating candy canes to prevent sticking- dough will still be somewhat sticky and that is normal.
11. Twist one of each color together and bend the end to create a hook shape. Place your “Candy Cane” on the foil lined baking sheet. Brush each with egg wash. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Let cool completely before storing or feeding it to your pooch!